Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving, Thank God!

So, where does an athiest direct his expressions of thankfulness on Thanksgiving?

This question has been ricocheting around the inside of my skull today, as I offered my thanks to the Almighty God. I have so very much to be thankful for this year (even though a LOT of bad stuff happened during the year)....and it makes me so angry that there is such a frenzy to remove all references to Him from every facet of our daily lives.

Now, I am no Bible-thumping religious zealot. I don't even go to church. Ever. But I consider myself a Christian and believe in the one true God. I don't however subscribe to the notion that there is ony one "true" religion, despite having been raised that very way! My faith in God is not dependent upon my practicing any certain religion in any certain way, it is a private and personal thing. It is between me and God, Himself.

The current drive to remove "under God" from our pledge of allegiance and "In God We Trust" from our currency, stands to tear an enormous hole in the fabric from which our country was woven. To the athiests I say: Read your American history again. This country was founded by people who came to this continent to escape religious persecution. They didn't want to be forced to practice religion in a certain way. They wanted to be free to profess their faith in any way they chose...and they all had a faith to profess!!

And so, the government founded by these people contained a strong element of faith without religion. This is how it should be. Athiests must not be allowed to dismantle the elements of the most perfect form of government yet developed by humans to maintain an orderly, civilized society. If they are offended by the foundation upon which our government is built--well, the door to the world stands wide open...thank God!

No comments: