Monday, March 24, 2008

Days of our Lives

I wonder if I could tell my life story to someone for a feature film? Talk about plot twists . . . my sister-in-law is pregnant! Yes, the same sister-in-law who is 41 years old, is an active alcoholic/drug addict, has been unemployed and basically homeless for nearly two years, and who lost custody of her 13-year-old adopted son almost a year ago!

Now, she hasn't ruled out abortion, but she has always wanted to "experience pregnancy and give birth". This may well be her only chance, so I don't see her going that route. (She was told that scarring from pelvic inflammatory disease had made her permanently unable to conceive, so she has NEVER used any birth control and decided to adopt. Surprise!) Her parents are solidly against abortion, and would just as soon raise another of their grandchildren themselves as see her give the child up for adoption. If they went the latter route, they would be in their 80's when the child turned 20! And, this raises the spectre of my husband and I being called upon to assume custody should his parents' health fail.

Sis-in-Law is scheduled for an amniocentesis next week. After that, the debate might all be academic, depending on what the doctor recommends.

Hey, does anyone know how to contact "Days of our Lives"??

Ciao.

No comments: