Sunday, July 26, 2009

Random

I feel tired and used up. Depressed. A shell of my former self. Nothing is as it should be. I am 47 years old and have been living with my in-laws for over three years. I busted my ass, working two jobs, so husband could finish his Associate Degree--which he did--and the thanks I get is for helping him achieve his dream is for him to start job hunting in HOUSTON!

I love my primary job. I have been working this job for over 10 years! I don't want to quit my job and move. It's the first job I have ever had where I have a real opportunity for advancement! I can't tell you how utterly beat down this makes me feel. I am on the brink of tears every minute...even now.

He knows how I feel. I have told him. He says it isn't that he doesn't care, it's just that there are no jobs for him in this area. Which may be true, but it doesn't make this any less painful for me.

Sound selfish?


2 comments:

SingingSkies said...

Selfish? Yes/no. There's nothing wrong with being loathe to leave a place where you see a potential for future advancement, have relationships, know the system, actually have some job security (which in this economy is reassuring). Yet, are you limiting yourself by assuming that this is the only place where that can happen?

The job market is tough all over, but positions in the medical profession most likely have the largest opportunities. The Houston area, with it's Medical Center and M.D. Anderson and other medical employers plus all of other other industries, could be a good opportunity for both of you to start anew. Yes, the economy in Houston has taken a bit of a hit, yet it's not as extreme as in other places.

But change is scary, as you well know, and Houston is HUGE! Any chance you could reframe this as an adventure in learning more about yourself instead of feeling beat down (abandoned?)? It'll still hurt, leaving behind what's familiar, but maybe a bit less.

((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Love, Rita said...

Thanks, I needed that. I am trying to wrap my mind around the prospect of leaving a job I adore, but it isn't going all that well.

For now, hubby is staying with my dad--who lives in Porter--and I am still staying with his folks, who live here in Louisiana.

And we are just taking it one day at a time....